Post#8

1. According to Du Bois, what is the significance of what he calls the “sorrow songs” to African-American history and culture?

Sorrow songs were passed down from generation to generation. Some sang them, and maybe didn’t really know the true meaning but yet some did. These “Sorrow Songs” were sung by slaves seeking freedom and freedom for their souls. The songs all had a meaningful purpose. These songs got recognize worldwide, and yet people still hear. These sorrow songs haunted Du Bois because he knew slaves were suffering and wanting freedom. These songs are meaningful since they are from their people that had been threw the worst. These songs unite them one way or another and stay together.

1. All the songs are significant, but in my opinion, the piece that stands out for me is “Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen” I think these make me sit down and think how many suffer and were slaves and how much things they had to go threw for their freedom when nobody should have past threw ever. In the song, it says only, “Jesus know what I’ve been through,” and it’s right. Nobody knows what you are going through even if they see, but don’t know what inside of you is going through. I think all the songs hit different, but they all have a meaning of what others went through that nobody should go through.