Blog Post 8 | Cinthia Duche

According to Du Bois, what is the significance of what he calls the “sorrow songs” to African-American history and culture? 

Sorrow songs made African Americans closer to each other. everything that would happen to them they would sing for the world to hear. They would sing all the times they were down and I hope that one day they will get freedom and everything will change. This goes deep in their culture because people would think it was ok for African Americans to be treated unfairly. They would teach the children the song and the Children would pass it onto their kids so that people don’t forget their story and what they have been through. They sing their hearts out so they wouldn’t be forgotten and so that the generations to come won’t forget their story. Also, it is a sign of hope that one day African Americans would be free. Not judging by the color of their skin. They can unite to make a change and not let future generations go through the same thing. Sarros’ song doesn’t only give me the sad times, it also represents hope and a new light for African American and brings unity.

Which of the songs featured in this chapter us the most significant, in your opinion, and why? (Check out the Spotify playlist if you are not familiar with them.) 

You may bury me in the east by The Fisk Jubilee Singers  is more significant to me because it shows how spiritually they were and how much grit they have and they sing how they are not afraid to die and believe that their spirit is gonna be fine in heaven and with angels.

1 thought on “Blog Post 8 | Cinthia Duche