Blog post #6

What do you think about the ideas Krukowski lays out in this episode? Does he adequately describe the intimacies afforded by sound and the tradeoff digital sound presents? In your answer, please incorporate at least one quotation from the episode.  

Digital sounds and analog sounds differ from each other because the way we process the quality of both sounds can be experienced in different ways. As Krukowski explains analog sounds are heard as they are originally generated,this gives us a true representation of sound. As opposed to digital sounds that have no proximity so we don’t experience the full range of the sounds. However digital sounds are vital to our everyday life because it helps keep people connected enabling us to be able to communicate more than ever no matter the distance. Different sounds also help us generate different memories. Krukowski says  “Melody is a part of the way we learn language”  I do agree  because before we even learn how to speak we learn to process different moods through sounds and music can be a great way to express love and happiness. Music is an essential part of life and its dynamic can transcend different cultures.I believe music is also a universal language because no matter what part of the world you live in music brings people closer together creating a social closeness.  

The New York Times article “How A.S.M.R. Became a Sensation” presents something like the opposite situation by providing an example of how digital tools are being used to circulate the intimate experience certain everyday and passing sounds induce. What do you see as the most interesting or important point about sound in this short history of A.S.M.R.?

The most interesting thing about A.S.M.R to me is how it can trigger the sensations by literally tingling your brain and causing that euphoric feeling. I’ve always liked A.S.M.R although I didn’t know what to call it like many others.Growing up I liked the sound of keyboards and the clicks at the end made me feel that tingly feeling on my spine. The sound of water soothes me and helps me meditate.Calming Sounds in different patterns help stimulate the nerves in your body and release oxytocin to your brain. I believe A.S.M.R is important and it can help reduce things like stress, depression and anxiety. This is something many people can benefit from.I know that most can agree how soothing euphoric and meditating the experience can be.