Blog Post #4

According to “Seeing Through Race” By Martin Berger, he argues that the media that uses images of black Americans get more empathy from white viewers as opposed to them being united marching together protesting. I feel something in between. Although it’s good to include and show pictures of the long-standing harsh fight of oppression against Black Americans, but why when their united, protesting what’s wrong and standing up for civil justice together, it goes ignored. The media purpose is having an image and although they like to be diverse by giving recognition to minorities, they still manage their image regardless. Pictures showing violence and action, amuses people, it captivates them. We mostly hear about it in fictional books, or see it displayed on television, but when it’s happening, the media wants to show you it in its true form. It’s the same thing in advertising. They know exactly what’s going to make us read an article or click away to a headline. Pictures are messages and the more intense, the more emotions the viewer feels behind it. They still do this today in our current events as its effective in changing our society. It’s crucial to showcase the violence, because it will then just be silenced. The difference about racism back in the civil rights movement and today, is that racism in the present, is filmed. 

1 thought on “Blog Post #4

1. Alexis Calderon

I agree with your point that media of people united protesting together is largely ignored even still today by the media and that the news handpicks images that will manipulate the reader just like advertisements. Your point about it being crucial to showcase violence in fear will will be silenced if not shown, really made me think. While I somewhat agree with that statement, I wonder if there is a different way to capture it where Black Americans won’t be seen in a position of inferiority.