Blog Post #1

Please write a brief blog post that responds to the two questions below. Remember to also respond to at least one classmate:

1. According to Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein, writers should use the model of “entering the conversation” in their writing. What are the advantages of this model?
  2. The smarthistory videos on the schedule this week discuss how learning to look at artwork help us analyze other situations. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

5 thoughts on “Blog Post #1

1. Dominik Kosmaty

1. According to Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein, writers should use the model of “entering the conversation” in their writing because the templates empower you to be a more critical and intellectual thinker. The book also invites you to participate in debates and conversations of your world in an active and empowered way. The templates also don’t stop your creativity they only give you a format on how to say your message. Once you master them you can change them or get rid of them altogether.

2. I do agree with the smarthistory videos looking at and interrogating artwork can improve visual and communication skills which can be critical during emergencies. There can be a lot more going on in a piece of artwork than first meets the eye. A close study of art can train viewers to study situations more thoroughly this is especially pertinent to professions like doctors that review test results and Xrays all day long. Studying art and discussing what you see can also help you with your articulation skills by providing a more detailed and accurate description of situations.

2. Alfonso Vazquez

1. According to Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein, writer should use the model of “entering the conversation” in their writing because to be able to become a strong writer you got to be able to listen to others points of views. The model “I say…..They say” , is important because that will help you understand the other person point of view, making it easier to have a stronger arguments. The advantage of using this model are that the writer will have a stronger understanding of their own opinion and the other person opinion. Knowing what the other person going to say is an advantage because you can provided more evidence in why you disagree with the other person. Disagreeing with a person is easy but backing it up it is hard and this model helps alot.

2. I agree looking at artwork will help you analyze other situation by thinking outside the box, showing you more details to figuring out a solution. For example in the video it showed that there was a crime and the police officers were gathering information about the crime scene by looking at picture and drawing of the crime. For example I am a visual learner I have to look at thing to be able to understand the situation. If I do not have a physical image presented I will not understand the situation. Artwork help complex situation by being able to provide more details. Lastly artwork is fun to look at.  

3. Robert V. Lopez

1) Gerald staff and Cathy Birkenstein believe, writers should use the method of “Entering a conversation” in your writing as a way so you can have more of an influence on the readers and not only to make your writing more attractive or interesting but to inspire you to come up with your own ideas and branch it off into your own style of writing, but only once you’ve become an expert at it. This will benefit you in the long run and simplify writing for you while also making it enjoyable for the reader.

2) I would have to agree that analyzing art work does help you involve your imagination more by noticing slight or small details that may hold more meaning a lot larger than their appearance. It can also teach you to be more cautious about making an assumption because what you see on the outside won’t always be the right answer to what’s really going on, so it will definitely make you think twice about judging a book by its cover. I believe this is a great way to stimulate your mind and make you more of a creative thinker.

4. Estefany Londono

1. According to Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein, writers should use the model of “entering the conversation” in their writing because it allows the writer to present a complex, complete and organized claim. Complex because includes the positive and negative aspects of the thesis, presenting the different points of view, what creates a complete argument, organized by dividing the agreeing in “one hand” and disagreeing by “the other”.

2. I agree that learning to look at artwork help us analyze other situations because it train us to infer and look for answers to extract our self-point of view, which could help us to any other task of our daily lives or problems to solve.

5. Jermaine Moore

1. The author Gerald Graff and Cathy Berkenstein’s model of “entering the conversation” has a multitude of advantages in my opinion. For example it can be used in order for a person to interpret their own thoughts on the situation at hand in their own perception besides only looking at situations from other party’s perspectives.

2. I would agree with the idea of learning artwork can help us analyze other situations because “The Power to Look” and “How Art Can Help You Analyze” videos give a greater insight on how the use of analyzing images can give the viewers the opportunity to evaluate and determine the meanings behind a certain image or scenario that is being presented.