Blog post #5

According to Krukowsi’s podcast, Ways of Hearing, we privatize our space in the public with the usage of earbuds. The idea that is brought up in the podcasts infuriates me because I myself agree and discuss about this subject often. With the advancement in technology, we don’t take the world and its noise into account anymore. Us humans also don’t talk anymore; Our ways of communicating are artificial. We text, DM, or email to verbalize ourselves. We don’t call or arrange to be in the presence of someone as often. People now say I love you or were breaking up over a message. This shows that we try to avoid sounds in all forms, whether its outside noise or communicating with your loved ones.

The Radio City Music Hall was made to establish a space where you can enjoy music while controlling the noise that interferes it. Krukowski compared earbuds to the venue stating that “Earbuds are like an auditorium without walls”.  My earbuds play an important role in how I visualize things, it enhances my ability to imagine, imagine a place other than here. But I don’t intend to estrange myself from reality, I just don’t find listening to the bus, the tracks of the train, or the rush of traffic amusing. That’s why it’s called white noise. Most people don’t actively listen to it. Every now and then though, I resort to tradition by removing my earbuds and listen to myself walk, hearing my feet hit the pavement and everything that surrounds me, including those private bubbles.