Ways of seeing, By: John Berger Blog post #2

Ways of seeing, “episode 2” by John Berger to me was very interesting to watch and gave me insight that I personally didn’t have prior. Given the fact that this episode was created and published in 1972  It is still very relatable today. In these Renaissance oil paintings from centuries ago the women are seen as sexual objects and this may be true but also these paintings In my opinion represent the beauty of the women, the delicacy of being a woman. It’s almost in a way praising the woman. John Berger states that these paintings of the women are only to please a man’s Sexual gratification. Though I concede that my own view is that it is also pleasurable for the women and they too find satisfaction in being doted upon. They seem to like captivating the attention of their audience. Specifically the male audience. The reason this is my belief is  because In today’s world women have more control over how they want to be portrayed and many women project their nudity and sexuallity willingly. They feel gratification in how many likes and comments of men are seemingly Obsessing upon them. It gives them a sense of self worth. The fallacy in this is that it is only momentarily and women do feel the need for stability and connections more deeply than men who mostly just seek sexual fantasies. In other words Men and Women feed their own egos and pleasures in different ways. A young lady who was featured in the episode said a comment on how both sexes are narcissists and this is too my belief. Which is why I say both males and females feed their egos in different ways. “To be nude is to be without clothes” “Being naked is to be oneself” When John Berger went on to say this I found this to be very profound and very Insightful. Given that the women are naked as you see them and not as who they truly may be.  Another commentary made by one of the ladies that caught my attention was, When she explained that these paintings were “unrealistic” to her and “unrelatable” due to the exaggeration in their robust and enormous figures. In Today’s World  that is not the case a lot of women are following these trends of altering their image and enhancing their breasts and Buttocks to appear much more enlarged. I was stricken the most when another lady in the film stated that men have more sense of self as opposed to women. Although some may argue that but from my perspective I find this to be in some cases very true. In today’s Culture many more women go under the knife because they feel insecure in themselves. They use things like photoshop and filters In order to captivate the attention of the male audience. It seems that not much has changed as most women are still seeking the attention and dominance of the male spectator. All the while the She is continuously feeding her ego feeling praised by the men.