Hello!

Hi everyone!

My name is Paul Fess, and this is my third year teaching at LaGuardia. Before coming to the College I taught at the University of Alabama and the University of Rochester. But, before that I taught at several CUNY schools as part of my graduate program at the CUNY Graduate Center. 

I specialize in nineteenth-century American literature and culture, and I love playing blues and jazz guitar. These days, though, I mostly hang out with these people, my son Andrzej (pronounced “An-jay”), and my wife Krystyna. These are pictures from our trip Poland to see Krystyna’s mom from last summer when we could still travel.

14 thoughts on “Hello!

1. Karlline

Hello , My name is Karlline Delacruz

I am a freshman here at La Guardia CC and I am very excited to embark on this new educational journey with everyone here at CUNY. I’m also a mother of two boys ages ten and seven we are from Brooklyn. This year will be very challenging since all 3 of us are going to be learning virtually. As we all face these difficult times of uncertainty one thing that I believe is in the certainty of education and opportunity to grow. I do hope that the circumstances change and allow us to be in a class room setting together as I believe that this is more beneficial to students. I’m not tech savvy but I am up for the challenge. I hope you and your lovely family are staying safe and in harmony.

2. Bryan Moreno

Hello my name is Bryan Moreno!

I’m not sure what year I am haha. I’m pretty sure I’m a sophomore, the TL;DR is I dropped out of college on first year in City College but I’M BACK! And this time I’m so ready to learn and take my education seriously! A few things to know about me are, I’m a musician! I main on the drums and I’ve played every genre you’ve ever heard of but I also write music using my handy guitar and bass. This is where I would shamelessly self promote my bands stuff but I’d rather you ask me about it directly if that’s something you are interested in learning about yourself haha. I’m excited to restart my journey, especially that it’s online! I think it’ll encourage me by giving me a gradual introduction to class workload minus the commute and social pressures! I hope that everyone finds something positive in the experiences we are confined in too.

3. Jose Jimenez

Hey everyone!

My name is Jose Jimenez, I’m a freshman transfer student from The InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico! Currently I’m in the Veterinary Technician Major program here at

4. Jose Jimenez

Hey everyone!

My name is Jose Jimenez, but majority of the time I go by Jay. I’m a freshman transfer student from The InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico and also a former US ARMY soldier! Currently, I’m in the Veterinary Technician Major program here at LaGuardia CC. I’m beyond ecstatic to start this semester and to venture the world of online learning now that we’re all stuck at home. I think It’s a great opportunity for students to really embrace & focus on learning without the added stress that is commuting in New York. That being said, I hope everyone rocks this semester, online learning could be tough but not impossible. I can’t wait to meet you all.

I hope you’re all safe and healthy, have a great rest of your day!

5. Cherilene Guzman

Hello everyone!

My name is Cherilene Guzman, and I am a freshman transfer student here at LaGuardia Community College. I am originally from Houston, Texas. I went to college back in 2016 at the University of Houston but dropped out to pursue a career in ballet. For about five years I moved around the country as a professional ballet dancer until I injured my Achilles tendon. Upon deciding that a change was needed, I moved to New York City. I then pursued a career in pastry and baking arts and attended the Institute of Culinary Education. Due to the pandemic, I lost my job at a restaurant and reevaluated my life for a second time. As I was reevaluating, I decided it was time to go back to college! My end goal is to become a physical therapist to help young injured dancers. I’m extremely excited to be back, and I am ready to learn. I hope everyone is being safe during this weird time.

6. Ashley Anderson

Hi everyone 😀

My name is Ashley Anderson, I don’t know what year I’m in I dropped out went to look for a part-time job found one stayed for a year later now I’m back in school . I wasn’t really taking most of my classes seriously while I was enrolled but as of right now I feel like it’s time for me to get my act together and motive myself that I can do better.

7. Estefania Jaquez

Hi professor, I am Estefania Jaquez I am from Dominican Republic. I have been at LaGuardia Community College for 3 years, and this is my last semester. My major is Psychology.
    These are beautiful pictures of your family, I love to travel, and I usually travel every year to Dominican Republic to see my mother and my family there. But with this situation that we are passing through with the COVID-19 I am scared to travel this year.
    Nice to meet you!

8. Wenjing Song

Hello everyone,

My name is Wenjing Song. This is my second year at LaGuardia, and my major is Radiology Technology. I’m an international student and I have been in New York for three years. There are many interesting things in this city. I hope we can meet on campus soon.

9. Alfonso Vazquez

Hello my name is Alfonso Vazquez im 23 years old, majoring in psychology. i live in New York City my whole life. My goal is to be a mental health counselor when I transferred to a 4 year college. I have been working as a Youth Advocate for 3 year, i enjoy working with kids and my job was the reason why i want to study as a mental health Couselor to help kids that might need an extra push.

10. Kulwinder K Mangrha

Hi, Everyone my name is Kulwinder Mangrha. I was born and raised in India but didn’t get chance to complete my college.I came to United States 10 years before with big ambitions. Here I am living with my family .This is my first semester in Laguardia community college. My major is childhood education. I’d like to be a teacher because I love kids. I am very eager to complete my bachelor’s degree but i don’t like online classes since, in my opinion face to face classes is much better than remote learning but I have no choice.

11. Andrew Huang

Hi my name is Andrew Huang. I was born and raised in the US for my entire life but going back to school after a 1 year leave after high school. But going back to school was my last option in my life. But in the end i’m back in school but this might be my last time of going back to school either dropout or continue.

12. Octazea Robinson

Hello Everyone, My name is Octazea Robinson I am 18 years old and I just graduated high school earlier this year. Being in online school was very hectic at first since I never had any online classes before and it is much easier for me to learn face to face. I would like to become a veterinarian because of my love for animals so I decided that I was take part in the veterinary technology course . I’m actually not really sure how to use black board or to do certain things on computers so I would be grateful if you would like to offer me any help.

13. Milagros Thomas

Hi Everyone,

My Name is Milagros Thomas, I am a transfer student from SUNY Farmingdale. My major is Health Science. I am married and have two children; my son is 21 and my daughter is 17. Also, I have a canine pet named Simba. It has been a while since I have been in school, I am ready and eager to learn. I look forward to meeting you all. Stay safe and healthy!