Bryan Moreno | Blog Post #5

In Krukowski’s podcast “Ways of Hearing” he explores the concept of privatized spaces, one of them being personal bubbles. It hadn’t dawned on me till I heard Kurkowski’s description of today’s modern climate, but as someone who can’t go outside without music in their ears; I agree that people voluntarily engage into these safe spaces with intent of removing themselves. As I reflect personally on my own experiences, I remember the times I’ve chosen to remove my earphones because I became conscious of my lack of awareness. It’s as if not being in tune with my surroundings can cause spikes of anxiety. When one’s senses are deprived, the deficit can distort one’s perception of their own reality. With many people practicing the same habits, there has been a societal shift in how we interact with others on the outside. We now market audio products with terms like soundproof. There’s business in enhancing these personal spaces. I’ve found myself cranking the volume to the max on my earphones so I could combat the loud interior of a train. I never engage with any strangers because I’m uncomfortable with the idea of forcing someone out of an experience they’ve opted to be in. In a lot of ways our society has normalized the use of personalized safe spaces.