Blog Post 5

In Ways of Hearing Episode 2: Space, Damon Krukowski speaks about noise and his experience growing up in New York City. In Krukowski’s view, he describes the noise as “less of a roar and more like being hit with a massive wave of sounds and of people.” I believe that Krukoski is comparing the noise to waves of an ocean, as he further says that maneuvering through the crowded city streets was much like surfing. I agree with his sentiments having also grown up and live in New York City. Stepping out into the city from my apartment can often feel like being overtaken by a giant wave of noise. People, animals, sirens,and trains are the never ending sounds in my neighborhood. I agree that at times it can be overwhelming, which brings me to the next point that Krukowski brings up about earbuds and screens. He says “but here with all these headphones, it’s like we’re avoiding ear contact.” I find this to be true and often do this myself. When I put my headphones on, I do not feel obligated to interact with anyone. I can choose what sounds I hear or whom I socialize with. While I agree with Jeremiah Moss that “the public has been triumphed over by the private” I don’t necessarily see it as a bad thing.