Blog post #5

According to the book, “The Soundscape” by R. Murray Schafer, the author argues that people should seek a way to make environmental acoustics a positive study program. He develops soundscape theory and  makes a lot research to propose that soundscape is composed by sound and landscape. Schafer’s theory of soundscape is extremely useful because it sheds light on the difficult problem of noise. As he argues, the management of noise is not only sound, it also is a environmental concern. When we live in New York City, we tend to think of outdoor sounds as noise, such as the sound of car horns, the sound of ancient subways and all kinds of sounds of people taking. When we only think these sounds as noise, they are regarded as a kind of waste. However, soundscape theory treats sound as a resource. It take advantage of sound from the perspective of environment and so on. When we are in an environment, we should distinguish the sound source and focus on more preferred sounds, and use them to mask the unwanted ones, then reducing some sounds what we unwanted. What’s more, different sounds in different environments will make people produce different emotions. We need to protect and use some kinds of special sounds because they are already embedded in people’s minds. For example, the bell of the end of class, the sound of the subway door will be opened and the sound of police car passing. Soundscape is that people use some specific sounds or create some sounds in some environment to reduce the sound that people do not like. My grandfather is an architect, my hometown’s house is near the highway, so any sounds from the road becomes a sound that we don’t like. Therefore, grandfather planted some bamboos to reduce the noise. We like the sounds of bamboo blown by the wind.

2 thoughts on “Blog post #5

1. Jafari Daines

Woah, I am impressed. That is very innovative of your grandfather to utilize bamboo as a way to blur out that noise. I question though, how could we make the use of sounds we don’t enjoy to amplify the sounds we do like hearing? His perception of not seeing unwanted sounds as waste gives me a lot of insight and makes me value noise a whole lot more.

2. Deryck Prashad

This post actually grabbed my attention and to me it basically tells me to just use a sound that you hear that doesn’t bother you and focus on that sound to drown out all the other sounds that you don’t want to here whether its the horns of a car going off, people playing talking very loudly. Find a source that you can make and focus on it to drown out the other sounds.