Blog Post #5

In episode two of his podcast, “Ways of Hearing”, Damon Krukowski explains how social interactions within spaces are becoming less accessible due to digital technology. Noting how earbuds and phones have deprived us of our ability to process the environment and energy around us. With technology being a part of our everyday lives, it is easy to be overly consumed by it. Although most of the time, I allow myself to intake the multicultural experiences the city offers. I also can relate to Krukowski’s perspective on it. Jeremiah Moss, a guest on the podcast, noted how he feels as if people create their own private space thru technology while out in the city. Personally, I can relate to sometimes zoning everything out with my headphones while I commute. I’m able to achieve a state of serenity within the chaotic, fast-paced setting of New York City by just simply pressing play on my playlist. Some of us don’t notice this type of micro behavior in our every day because we’re accustomed to it. Growing up in New York, you’re forced to push aside the overwhelming sounds of the city. So for some, putting on earbuds may be seen as a form of escape. But for most, it’s a way to avoid communication as Krukowski explained. I can obviously notice this type of micro-behavior while riding the subway, you notice people with their heads down and earbuds in. People walk right by each other, not saying a word. It’s as if they were invisible.

1 thought on “Blog Post #5