Blog #5 I Angel Zamora

According to “Ways of hearing #2 – SPACE”, Krukowski describes how sound is all around us. He explains how earbuds affect us as if we are in our own world or bubble. He explains house noises are a part of our everyday life’s no matter where we are. In the podcast Krukowski states “If you are busy talking on the phone or looking at a screen, are you really in this crowd, are you here with me on this side walk moving together like we are all in the same wave or are you in some space all together” In my personal experience I see this happen everywhere around NYC, people seem to be talking on the phone or staring at a screen not aware of their surroundings. They do not pay attention to what is in front of them and sometimes can lead to accidents because they are to busy staring at a screen while walking. Krukowski also mentions that “the streets of NYC move much slower” which is relatable because people who are staring at their phone or talking on the phone move slower, bump into people. They are not aware of what is going on around them at all. Most people use earbuds to cancel out all the noise that are around them. They can’t hear the cars, trains, people talking, dogs barking etc… which is like they are not really even there to begin with because they are in a whole different noise environment. If I do not have headphones on and one of my friends with me does, we will not hear theĀ  same things and its like we are in two different places even though we are right next to each other. Personally I do not use earbuds much, but when I do it’s not for long because I like to be aware of my surroundings. Technology has advanced plenty through out the years causing people to be less social with one another. People do not talk as much and avoid eye contact because they are to busy looking at their phones.