Blog Post #2 | Cherilene Guzman

Berger argues that women depicted in Renaissance Paintings are seen as objects solely present for the male’s gaze and pleasure. While I believe that this idea remains true to most of the representation of women today in advertising, I also think that there has been a shift in our culture, and women are taking back their sexuality in art. The objectification of women in our society is everywhere you look. Magazines, commercials, and ads often portray women as sexual items to sell random things like beer, perfume, or jeans. Parallels of the portrayal of women can be seen between Renaissance Paintings and a photograph in a magazine. Both women lay around showing submission and portray an ideal body type (large breasts, small waists, large butt). During the Renaissance, artists painted this ideal image, yet today, photoshop is widely used to achieve this standard of beauty. While this is not always the case in mainstream media and there has been a movement toward female empowerment, I do believe that advertising has a long way to go. Although aside from commercial media, I do think more artists and creators are slowly changing things. During the Renaissance, men were the ones creating these images. They painted naked women for their pleasure and to appease their sexuality among other males. They would paint this ideal woman “by taking the shoulders of one body, the hands of another, and so on”, Berger states. Men created these paintings and had power over how to portray these women. Today, more women creators and artists are taking control of how they are being seen. There are now art installations (like Maggie West’s installation “98”) of nude women by women that celebrate female sexuality without objectifying it because the subject is in control. Instead of being shown as timid, submissive, perfect objects, women are showing themselves nude as proud beings. Flipping the narrative from “women being nude has to be seen as objects” as nude women being a celebration of female sexuality.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post #2 | Cherilene Guzman

1. Yingxin Tan

Hi, Cherilence, I have similar idea with you about this topic. I think that even though the image of women is still affected by the male gaze, their perspective of view themselves is gradually transitioning from the perspective of viewers to their own.