Blog post #8 “The souls of black folk” The sorrow songs by W.E.B BuBois

According to Du Bois, what is the significance of what he calls the “sorrow songs” to African-American history and culture?  

The Monumental importance of the “Sorrow songs” according to Du Bois is that these songs were the form that slaves expressed their deepest despairs and misfortunes. They sang because it also thrilled their spirits, singing carelessly brought  them so much joy within. Although this was the music of unhappy people. This was also the great gift that fulfilled the sorrow in their hearts. The most beautiful expression of their experiences were the “sorrow songs” that Africans passed down from generation to generation. They sang with their heart and souls making this a beautiful spiritual heritage a landmark in African American history.   

Which of the songs featured in this chapter is the most significant, in your opinion, and why? 

In my opinion the song that was most significant would be the song “My lord what a morning”  This song is very spiritual and you can noticeably hear and feel the sorrow in the voice of the singer. Keeping their faith in the lord gave them a sense of hope. Having hope is the most significant thing you can do and hope is what keeps you going. Not having their freedom is what caused them so much pain and sadness. So to me this song truly expresses that feeling and desire to have better circumstances and just be freed.