Blog Post #6 Jiaqi Gao

I strongly agree with Damon Krukowski that digital sounds block our perception of sound quality that these sounds can help us experience intimacy. His descriptions of children singing, the Beatles’ music, and the examples of Roland and Gary Tomlinson fully illustrate the intimate relationship between sound and the balance of digital sound. As he said at the beginning, “But I worry about the quality of that share because we don’t seem to be listening to each other very well in the world right now.” While digital tools allow us to connect directly with people beyond the text, digital technology has sacrificed our voice. People are faced with less and less emotional air communication. Even though FaceTime sees everything about the other person, it doesn’t feel real emotion because of the lack of sound. What we’re losing is the perception of sound and the most precious thing.

The New York Times article “How A.S.M.R. Became a Sensation” by describing how people use digital tools to transmit sounds that we ignore in our daily lives, such as chewing. The popularity of A.S.M.R. has also been widely accepted. He makes sounds closer to us and more interesting. I think the most important thing about sound is to restore the sound to its original form. We live in a busy city. All kinds of sounds surround us. Many voices were drowned out by them. I love A.S.M.R. so much that sometimes I even listen to him sleep. He made me feel what the voice was like. Let me deeply understand the voice is a gift to people.